Today, Dr Mercola has published an article online about Melatonin and its benefits in treating Covid. The link is here
But as you know, with all of Dr Mercola’s stuff now, won’t be there long! So I have summarised the main points.
- While most well-known as a natural sleep regulator, melatonin also has many other important functions. It boosts immune function, helps recharge glutathione and may improve treatment of certain bacterial diseases; it has anticonvulsant and anti-excitotoxic properties, and is a potent antioxidant with the rare ability to enter your mitochondria
- In viral infections, melatonin lowers the overreaction of the host cells to the pathogen, thereby raising the host’s tolerance to the virus. This gives the host time to develop the adaptive immune response and eradicate the invading pathogen
- Melatonin attenuates several pathological features of COVID-19, including excessive oxidative stress and inflammation, exaggerated immune response resulting in a cytokine storm, acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome
- An October 2021 study found melatonin significantly lowered mortality when given to severely infected COVID patients. In the standard care only group, 13 of the 76 patients died (17.1%), compared to just one of the 82 patients (1.2%) who received melatonin in addition to standard care — a reduction in mortality of 93%
- During the second week of infection, a time when severely infected patients can take a drastic turn for the worse, the melatonin group fared much better than the standard care only group, with only two patients developing sepsis, compared to eight in the standard care only group.
By the way Dr Mercola has now popped up on Substack where he has found a way to put up all the articles that he was previously forced to take down from the website – not easy to search though.